When will MyPaint 2.0.0 packaged into repositories?

What are the advantages to having this Feature? How will it benefit MyPaint’s work flow?
Performance are better when using native app instead of Flathub. Appimage on Linux doesn’t adopt the user’s theme so it’s not as good of a UI experience.

Either mypaint can have a ppa similar to how GIMP 2.10 can be installed in Ubuntu without using Flathub or Snap or mypaint can just be installed through the Ubuntu repositories which seems to move pretty slow.

Is there a plan already set for this or is this simply not going to happen for the current version?

Thanks to the work of hosiet, MyPaint 2.0.0 is now in debian/unstable, which means that it (or hopefully a newer release) will end up in e.g. Ubuntu 20.10 (and the next Debian stable of course).

As for maintaining a ppa, I’m afraid that it won’t happen unless someone else wants to do it.

Also, you can override the theme in the appimages by setting the GTK_THEME variable to an installed theme compatible with Gtk 3.22, like this:

GTK_THEME=SomeThemeThatIsInstalled ./MyPaint.AppImage

Is there a way to install it on Ubuntu from Debian/Unstable.

There is, but I would not recommend it. It’s very easy to break existing dependencies if you don’t know what you are doing (and even if you do know what you’re doing, it can be tricky). For MyPaint I would say it’s always preferable to build from source, since we don’t require any bleeding-edge packages.

Just FYI: MyPaint 2.0.0 will be in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and can be installed using apt install mypaint.

Installing using upstream-provided AppImage could still be a way of using the bleeding-edge version but at least there is a fallback option in the Ubuntu repo. The Ubuntu Studio initative is keeping an eye on it so at least it can be taken cared of by someone from Ubuntu.

1 Like

I would agree with this advice, I tried to install MyPaint 2 on Debian 10, and AV Linux using the GDeb Package Installer. Serious dependency breaks would result requiring the removal of all kinds of lib files and other programs. You would definitely loose The GIMP program if you want to install MyPaint. I would guess this has something to do with The GIMP now including MyPaint brushes as a new feature in the latest version 2.10 and above. Actually having MyPaint brushes in the GIMP is a nice feature to have on an operating system along with the MyPaint app that will run well without any problems. I’ve done the same thing for update versions of Blender 2.7 series (well at least until they came up with a totally redesigned interface in the 2.8 series). That my paint app runs well on every flavor of Linux that I use: Fedora, Debian, and AV (Audio Visual).