Toniw's paintings

A quick still life painting using the improved smudge brush settings discussed here: https://community.mypaint.org/t/smudge-tweaks-testers-needed/1202. There is also a short process video:

6 Likes

Nice job! Curious; are you using smudge subtractive, smudge pow, and smudge spectral here?

Thanks! So far I did not use those settings. What is a good recommendation for those 3 to simulate pigment/natural paint? I have to admit I do not yet fully understand the mechanics behind those values but I’ll use them next time :full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

I’ve been setting pretty much all the brushes in my brush pack to: smudge_spectral=1.0, smudge_pow=2.4, smudge_subtractive=1.0. This gives you a realistic paint mode. I also generally keep opacity at 100% and instead of pressure–>opacity, I map pressure to the “smudge” setting so that light pressure == 100% smudge and hard pressure == 0% smudge. In a way, the “smudge” setting IS an opacity setting :slight_smile:

7 Likes

This is amazing! Do you got a making of ?

thanks! no, it was just a spontaneous painting using a (bad) photo I took some years ago as a reference:

Awesome job and a great example of how a painting can improve upon a photograph :grin:

1 Like

6 Likes

Wonderful and really helpful for a beginner like me! … It seems i missed your other videos on Vimeo, so i’ve started to watch them all, and learn from them.

Thanks a lot for sharing! :pray:

1 Like

This time using the new pigment mode!

8 Likes

Nice… I like the soft brush style, it gives a sense of relax and comfort… but sometimes (for the fruit still life, example) maybe a little more work was necessary (I don’t know, more details maybe ?)
For the outdoor scenes, though, it’s a good choice though, imho

1 Like

I really enjoy your studies and your videos. :slight_smile: You got awesome sense of values and colors. Also the brushworks are gorgeous! I hope all is well and that maybe one day you can share more of your cool stuff again.

1 Like

This is very cool! I enjoy watching it! The it looks like a photography , the glass its really cool how you did it, very realistic! =D

1 Like