Request for feature - Assign brushes to a layer

What are the advantages to having this Feature? How will it benefit MyPaint’s work flow?
I tend to have trouble moving to new layer, constantly forget it, esp. when tired . . I was having a weird idea, maybe make it so, for instance some brushes where locked to say layer 2, layer 3, if those layers were first added . . . It might be quite dumb, hoping the experts here can find a way, at all, if this is useful . . . That way, if all my color - brushes are set to layer 2, line-art is set to paint in the layer 3, I’ll never have to click layers while painting, it’d make it faster, ie. no need to switch layers constantly, the brushes have a setting, so they paint to correct layer, not sure this require re-write, for most users it’d make the layer stuff more easy, it’d have to be some brush setting, or, some ID number . . Then, if I pick a color brush, it places the paint in layer 2, if then click some line-art brush, it just paints to layer 3 . . Really annoying to constantly switch layers, with some optimization, one could store the brush stuff in a buffer, or maybe cache, etc . . So, one doesn’t have to ’ wait ', between switching layers, so on . . .

What will be the challenges to adding this feature?
Might have to add some code, that sets bit memory aside, for the first brush strokes, then when CPU is free, copy them to the layer, brush is ’ set ’ to . .

Do you have any mockups or examples from other programs which implement this?
No, I just constantly forget to click the right layer, esp. when tired, or, after working ton, of hours . .

This is not a 100 % feature request, it’s more to hear if it’s even possible, also, what others, esp. the pro - coders, or mypaint experts think . . It’d sort-of make it bit faster to work in mypaint, and, sort-of make 100 % certain, one never paints in wrong layer, once the settings are done . . .

I also realize the make layer, then switch when needed is used by ton of programs, however, it’d actually be faster, prevent mistakes, and, make the general work-flow easier, if one could assign for instance 8 brushes, to color layer, for me, it’s usually layer 2, then the line-art brushes, also have 8, to layer 3 . . Then, never need to click to move to another layer, sort-of less to remember, and, it’s easier to paint, it’s just never been done, or, never really seen it, it’d make it easier, faster, prevent errors, and, more intuitive to use the program, sort-of effortless . . The problem is coding a buffer, or cache, where if one clicks say from color, or layer 2 brush, to line-art, for me layer 3, some buffer, where one stores the paint - strokes, UNTIL the program in the ’ background ’ can actually switch to the other layer . .

Or, simply make a setting, IF click a line-art brush, it auto-changes to some layer, one has as setting, in the brush, just sort-of layer 0, layer 1, layer 2, that are the lowest numbered layers, so on . . .

Edit, one could have instead, of ’ blink ’ layer to make sure one is working in correct layer, so it’s sort-of instant, each brush is assigned to a number, from the bottom, ie. layer 0, layer 1, layer 2, or some named layer, so if I name a layer ’ lineart ', the programs puts all brushes with ID ’ lineart ’ into that layer, it’d speed up work flow, and, also fewer clicks in the layer tab . .

Interesting. Let me see if I could implement one for you.

Apparently because I only paint in one or very few layers, I don’t tend to think of it that way but it makes sense to do so.

Well, hoping the pro coders, can find a good way, so on . . .

It’d be esp. nice, if one can make a ’ default ’ layer start-up file, and, have the needed layers just ’ there ', however, rely on coders, also ton of experience, to make this happen, and, a way that fits mypaint, so on . . .

In a way, for people that don’t know how to work with layers, or need to learn that, it makes some auto - help stuff . . .

So, no more errors working in wrong layer, faster work-flow, and, idea is more effective . . However, how to then make that . .

Or, one could make a special .ora format, that has four, or three auto-layers, with say ID 0, ID 1, so on . . . So, one doesn’t actually see the layers, it’s just sort-of there, it might be so popular, other programs try make something similar, never really know ‘how’ to implement stuff, coders with experience, may find a nice way, etc etc

I am hoping that pro coders will find a way for implementing this feature.

For me, layers are confusing, not so much making them, perhaps thinking, constantly, click this brush, then, have to work in some layer . . .

However, I think it makes sense to have two, well - made features, 1. to be able, make a start-up .ora, or some format, where one can auto - make the layers, for instance, when creating a new .ora, one can auto - gen layers there, in a small menu, then, click ’ make default ', perhaps in settings, and, as one learns or, so skip that . . 2. be super - nice, if there was some channel ID, I think ID 0, ID 1, ID 2, for brushes, might be really cool . .

My worry in asking for features, is that the coders that make it, are the final deciders, on how, or, what way, or if to add new features . . Their work, they have to be proud of it, or, feel it makes working in program easier, or, is a feature that will be good enough, that they can add it . . So, the how this could be done, it’s important the coders decide that, find something they like, or, feels fit with program . .

So, asking the coders to run with it, see if they can make a nice version, or, change it so much, it works in a cool / use-ful way . . That might be more tricky, anyway hope you can make it, after trying it, prob. gonna use it for most projects, not sure how, where to place these perhaps settings . . . One could right click a brush, in the editor, and have a layer list, I’m thinking, add it in advanced brush settings, as a more pro - feature, not sure . . .

Uhh, made a review of mypaint, it sorry has some feature requests . . .

Review of mypaint . - General Chit-Chat - MyPaint Community

Idea wasn’t to make feature requests, not sure, maybe a mod, or coder can help, tend to be bit scattered, #thx . . .

Sorry, my mind sort-of does jumps, or I get excited . . . :frowning:

Not sure anybody can write it, maybe a ’ lock brush ’ to a layer, perhaps . . .

Also, made other suggestions, in here . . .

Review of mypaint . - General Chit-Chat - MyPaint Community

Sorry, not that good at using forums, #thx . . .

i get what your saying but this is a bit of a niche thing, i will suggest brush layer management

so better layer management is what you want