"python3w.exe no disk" error every time I try to open a file

Every time I try to open a file in mypaint w64 2.01, I get an error message that I cannot dismiss saying “python3w.exe - No Disk. There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\Device\Harddisk3\DR3.”

There are buttons for “Cancel, Try Again, Continue,” but none of them do anything and none of them allow me to close the error message window. The error message cannot even be closed with the task manager and is always in front of all other windows. I have to hard reboot the computer to get rid of it.

It might have something to do with my having tried installing GIMP earlier this evening but I can’t be sure. I uninstalled GIMP and reinstalled mypaint but it didn’t fix it.

Please help! MyPaint has been my favourite paint program for ten years, and this bug is kind of terrifying. The fact that the error message persists even with the task manager frightens me.

Basic System Details

MyPaint version:

mypaint w64 2.01

Operating System + Version:

Windows 7

Please Tell Us How to Reproduce the Problem in Steps.

Open MyPaint, click “file” and “open.”

Are there any Errors Popping Up? If so, paste the text in the area shown below.

[python3w.exe - No Disk. There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\Device\Harddisk3\DR3. ]

Hi. There seem to be similar issues already that all point towards incompatibilities with Windows7 and Python.

A few ideas to maybe narrow down the problem:

• Since win7 is already EOL, do you have a win 8 or 10 machine available and can you reproduce this problem there?
  • Can you run mypaint in a terminal/cmd, reproduce the problem and copy/paste an error traceback to here?
  • Do you have any additional USB devices connected when this happens? Does disconnecting everything except mouse/keyboard help?
  • Which exact version of Release MyPaint v2.0.1 (2020-05-29) · mypaint/mypaint · GitHub are you using?
  • What does Help > About MyPaint show in the application? (screenshot)

Hi DejaDrew,

Welcome to MyPaint. I have the same problem. The simplest thing to do is just keep punching the CONTINUE button. It will give up after a few taps and you can continue.

Good Luck,

phdtx