Mypaint smoothing the path

Hello,

When i draw rapidly i get this first picture here. I want smoothing the path . I don’t want to use “draw smooth and controlled lines” tool.

How can I do ?

I’m no expert, but usually they want to know the details of your system. Processor, memory, drawing tablet, operating system, version of MyPaint, version of tablet driver, if happens with one brush or all the brushes.

If you can provide details like those it will help the skilled ones when/if they show up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Problem with all brushes

I use only deevad-soft-dip-pen and deevad-liner

(It is ok with krita …)

Basic System Details

**MyPaint version:
2.0.1+git.478280f2

(Python 3.8.3, GTK 3.24.20, GdkPixbuf 2.40.0, Cairo 1.16.0, GLib 2.64.1)**

Operating System + Version:
8 Go, ADM chipset vegas 11, Windows 10.

Make and Model # of Graphic Tablet:
Huion H420

I think the relatively low polling rate of the H420 and the fact that due to its very small size, a small stroke is projected to a (probably) large screen, is whats causing this effect. I had to move my mouse (125 Hz polling rate) very fast to create these visible bumps, with my pen (Huion H610Pro, 250Hz) its almost impossible. According to the Huion Website the H420 is also not really made for drawing/painting but rather for “Signing PDF Documents”.

The Issue you linked sums this up pretty much. As far as I know, there is no “real” interpolation functionality for this kind of problem in mypaint. The “Slow position tracking” setting (or in the toolbox: “Smoothing”) might improve your lines but then the brush might lag behind a bit. Could you still test your device via Help > Debug > Test Input Devices? Move your Pen around on the canvas and look at the 3rd line “Motion”. How many events does this show while moving the cursor and what are the timestamp spacing values?

Krita shows the same behaviour for devices with low polling rate until you enable the smoothing tool option which does interpolation and causes a noticable performance impact.

Also, check if you have some setting to adjust the tablet’s polling rate somewhere (in Windows or in the tablet driver) and try setting it to the highest possible value if so.

Hello ,

Thank You for your explanation.

How many events does this show while moving the cursor and what are the timestamp spacing values?

I draw the pen until i get a stable value…
Huion H420 : 47 events, timestamp spacing
My USB mouse : 227 events, timestamp spacing

On this polling rate test, i get
133 Hz for my Huion H420p
and 230 Hz for my Lenovo mouse

It is the same here

I cannot modify polling rate from HUION interface but i think i cannot get higher value of 133 Hz.

I don’t see in Huion site the polling rate of them products.
What is a good value ?

Krita shows the same behaviour for devices with low polling rate until you enable the smoothing tool option which does interpolation and causes a noticable performance impact.

Yes. That’s right

Also, check if you have some setting to adjust the tablet’s polling rate somewhere (in Windows or in the tablet driver) and try setting it to the highest possible value if so.