MyPaint 1.2.0 Released!

Main blog post: http://mypaint.org/blog/2016/01/15/mypaint-1.2.0-released/

It’s been a long time since the last stable release, but I’m really happy to announce that MyPaint version 1.2.0 is ready. Windows binaries will be available soon, and Ubuntu packages available for testing through the usual PPA. Expect releases for other operating systems and distros in due course.

If you’d like to build MyPaint from source yourself, you can download an official, signed source code bundle on our GitHub releases page.

Ubuntu PPA builds are available from the MyPaint-testing PPA, and other distributions for Linux or OS X will doubtless pick up the new release in due course.

We expect that official Windows installers will be uploaded to the releases page on Github soon. Issue #564 tracks the Windows build’s progress for 1.2.0.

Changes since the last stable release

• New intuitive Inking tool for smooth strokes.
  • New Flood Fill tool.
  • Automated backups of your working docs, with recovery on startup.
  • Improved symmetry-setting and frame-setting modes.
  • New workspace UI: two sidebars, with dockable tabbed panels.
  • Smoother scrolling and panning.
  • New brush pack.
  • New brush and color history panel.
  • New layer trimming command in frame options.
  • Added layer groups.
  • New layer modes: several masking modes added.
  • Add display filters: greyscale, simulate dichromacy for trichromats.
  • New color wheel options: Red/Yellow/Blue, Red-Green/Blue-Yellow.
  • Uses dark theme variant by default.
  • Clearer icons, prettier freehand cursors.
  • Device prefs allow glitchy devices to be restricted.
  • Eraser mode no longer changes the size of the brush.
  • New vector layers, editable in an external app (Inkscape recommended).
  • New fallback layer types: non-PNG image, data.
  • More kinds of images now work as backgrounds.
  • Improved Windows support
  • Ported to GTK3.
  • Accelerator map editor has moved to preferences.
  • Many other bugfixes, translations, and code quality improvements.

Happy painting!

3 Likes

Thank you for this release the new UI is really great and it feels refreshing. Thank you for developing mypaint!

Thank you so much for improving this lovely application!

Windows installers are up now, thanks to @tumagonx on github!

(I didn’t make these, but I know where many of the rough edges are with Windows builds. I’ve looked, and it’s probably that the lag issue may be absent from this stable release. The horrible tab-drag crasher issue seems to be gone too! However you might have some glitches with Huion tablets still.)

Registered an account just so I could say thank you! MyPaint totally rocks my socks! :slight_smile:

Congratulations!! And thanks for MyPaint development team’s effort to make this happen!!

I’m so happy right now! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! :sob:

Congratulations and thanks for the good work! :wink:

The UI is great and works really well on my PC, however I’m having problems on my Surface Pro, the pen creates weird strokes and menus seem to not automatically respond to the pen. The really old version of Mypaint works fine on the Surface Pro. Is anyone else having issues?

thank you, it works well and the new icon are very pretty.
and i really like the automated backups
(also, is there a way to hide the footer panel?)

I had to register to say thanks. I know I’m not bringing anything new to the discussion, and I know my opinion doesn’t matter, but I just wanted to say: I found MyPaint to be perfect and it was my recommendation to anyone wanting to use a tablet. I honestly thought development had stopped. What would you want to change? It was just what’s needed. I figured, if I’m lucky, at best, it’ll get maintenance updates here and then when something really breaks hard.

And then my packages update and I open MyPaint and lo and behold, I see new icons and new toolbars and then I try new stuff and I’m amazed. This is an incredible update, and I’m humbled by it, and I can’t believe my luck to be living in an age where such amazing tools are free, made available by people for other people, not as a marketing strategy, not as a portfolio one-off test, not as a ploy to hook you into paying anything later…Just because someone should.

Thank you for all the hard work!

FANTASTIC! :slight_smile:

Recently I’ve rediscovered MyPaint - mosty due to new tablet I’ve got for my daughter (well, yes - for me too ").

Tired of Windows 10 slowing down day by day on our home laptop, I’ve decided to move to Ubuntu. I was afraid that our drawing adventure will be over: no more ArtRage, no Corel Painter… but I was wrong! :slight_smile: Thanks to MyPaint - we have more fun than ever! It’s sleek, smooth, provides all we need.

Thank you - we’ll share some artwork once it’s worth sharing :slight_smile:

I’m using MyPaint on Ubuntu with a Trust Flex tablet. I just updated both system and MyPaint (16.04 and 1.2.0). The changes look great and the pen pressure works just fine, but when using the pen I can’t see the pointer until I press it to the tablet. This is a big problem, obviously… It isn’t a feature, I hope?

Hi! First of all sorry for my bad english. I really like mypaint 1.2, but is there an option to hide top bar (panel) in fullscreen mode (like it was in mypaint 1.1 and lower)? It appears when i move cursor to top so i can’t see part of image… sorry for my english again)