Making Krita feel like MyPaint?

I’ve been using MyPaint for all of my drawing needs, though I’ve wanted to expand into Krita for a while. However, no matter what I do, Krita feels very unnatural compared to MyPaint. To a certain extent, I found the problem, but I still haven’t really found the solution:

Has anyone else tried to make this leap and had issues?

(The problem, as far as I can tell, is that the line doesn’t crawl towards the cursor when I stop the way it does in MyPaint. The GIF I post at the end of that discussion should help explain.)

This is just a guess, but maybe the architecture of the programs is significantly different. MyPaint’s GUI sends a whole bunch of “draw here” commands to the brush engine which build up into a command queue. The engine itself decides how many dabs and where to draw them based on these coordinates and the brush settings, and a bunch of things. But basically it has a list of all the x, y points where your stylus was and can just chew on that queue, even if that means “slowly” moving to each point, at least it has every point to work with.

I’m guessing that Krita has the stabilization filtering magic at a higher level, so that the coordinate/commands of where to draw are not necessarily where the cursor has historically been, but rather in relation to the cursor’s current location. So, as you move to the red line and then away from it quickly, the engine is “slowly” targeting the current location and not trying to get to the red line at all even though your cursor was there. Maybe! I barely know how MyPaint works much less Krita, but based on your video that’s my guess.

SO, I guess you’re just stuck here with us and MyPaint! :wink:

Yeah, I think it along the lines where stabilization is being applied to the brush you are using. Plus since Krita actually more like photoshop and gimp. Sometimes it actually pasting a raster image (or a Mask from the looks of it) over and over and mutating that instead of building up from a single circle like what MyPaint does. So it could have a lot more overhead compared to MyPaint.

This is definitely a question for @davidrevoy if he ever wanders upon here. He probably understand Krita better than all of us since he uses it daily for his Pepper and Carrot comic. I’ll ping him on Twitter too.

Hey. There is also another variable here: hardware. Krita can be capricious on older hardware or small config while Mypaint is still lightweight in comparison. But also Krita can be very selective about hardware itself; I saw it being very hard to use on specific graphic card or using specific tablet (I even rejected a laptop from a sponsor because of an input/display lag related to hardware) while being butter smooth on other OS/CPU/GraphicCard and hardware combo. So, there is always a hardware POV to consider.

@C1ff: what type of hardware have you?

[edit: I see you replied on Krita Artist about it (your link in the header), I’ll read the thread there to get more information]

You could be right, I guess I’ll be sticking with MyPaint for a while then.

Yea my hardware is unlikely to be the problem (running on Linux, i5 8600k CPU, GeForce 1070Ti, Wacom Intuos tablet, etc.)

More cause that could lag Krita at O.S. level, from the top of my head:

• using Wayland
  • using the packaged version, especially on rolling package system (eg. Arch, Krita require on Linux a patched Qt; the one bundled on *.appimage is optimised. Arch by delivering the latest Qt 1h after release often add more bugs to packaged Krita by distro maintainers)
  • Using Snap/Flatpack: rarely well packaged and generated by script without testing. Not sure how the Qt version and environement is tuned for optimal Krita. Here again, as dev said on the blog, only the appimage is adviced for Linux users.
  • Running the free/libre driver for Nvidia
  • The optimus/bumbleebee system is also problematic.

It’s a real slalom :smile:

Going through these in order…

• After a quick check using the first solution from this stack exchange question, it seems as though my system is running x11 and not Wayland.
  • I am running the packaged version, which could possibly be the issue (Though I would state I’m not entirely sure it’s a lag issue so much as a difference in the software, but when I get some time I can try this)
  • I’m not using a Snap or Flatpack AFAIK, I’ve installed it via apt-get, though I’ve heard that some programs like Chromium will install a Snap when you install them through the repositories.
  • I am using the correct NVIDIA driver and not the open-source one.
  • I’m not necessarily sure I’m making use of Optimus or Bumblebee, though I don’t know a lot about either.