External sketch line extraction

Description of the Problem, or Question?

I have sketches that I want to upload into MyPaint and I’ve had no problem with that. I am not sure of the correct terminology, but I can’t figure out how to extract the sketch or lines from my upload and put the image onto the canvas itself. In other words, I didn’t use MyPaint for the original sketch, it was on a piece of paper. Thanks in advance.

Basic System Details

HP Spectre x360 14

MyPaint version:

Operating System + Version:
Windows 10 Home version.

Make and Model # of Graphic Tablet:

Please Tell Us How to Reproduce the Problem in Steps.

Are there any Errors Popping Up? If so, paste the text in the area shown below.

[Paste Here]

_For our guidelines to create a great user support ticket, please visit this wiki page at Reporting Bugs · mypaint/mypaint Wiki · GitHub

Trace the sketch in a layer above it? You can see the sketch in MyPaint, I take it, after you upload/open it with the program, yes?

Hey. Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Yes, I can see it and that’s exactly what I’ve been doing. I have briefly used Gimp, Krita and Fire Alpaca and all three had a process to extract the lines from the original paper sketch. I really like MyPaint the best and I will just continue doing it as you suggest. I have quite a few and it just adds a lot of time to basically resketch them again. Thanks again and have a great day.

You could use their line sketch feature and then close that up and pull it into mypaint. I bet that would save you a lot of time. Nothing illegal about using multiple applications IMHO. MyPaint even condones it directly by shipping layers off to external editors and then incorporating the changes when you save it. Check out the bottom of the Layer menu item.

~Tigr~~,