Edge bumping in fullscreen: can we do something better?

Continuing the discussion from MyPaint 1.2.0 Released!:

@puresaredager wrote:

Hi! First of all sorry for my bad english. I really like mypaint 1.2, but is there an option to hide top bar (panel) in fullscreen mode (like it was in mypaint 1.1 and lower)? It appears when i move cursor to top so i can’t see part of image… sorry for my english again)

There is no option to hide the top bar in 1.2.0 all the time. I am nervous that if we hid everything, people would not be able to exit the program. You might not be able to reveal what you hid.

If edge bumping is too strange, or feels bad, please tell us how we could make something better.

What MyPaint does in 1.2.x

When you go fullscreen, the UI hides away into the edges of the screen. You can reveal them by bumping the pointer into the edge of the screen. You can press buttons and panels and do stuff normally when the pointer is over them, but they hide away after a bit when start drawing (… and then stop to think).

You can press the Tab key if you prefer to see the sidebars, footer, and top panel all the time. The key works as a toggle between the auto-hiding state and the everything-shown state. There is no option to just hide everything all the time.

Some open questions

Q: Should there be an option to hide everything all the time? Is there any chance users will get stuck or frustrated if they activate it by accident?

Q: Is the feel of what we have right? If you are a fullscreen user, is that autohide behaviour pleasant to use or do we need to make it work differently?

Wow! Thanks for your reply with questions) I think mypaint 1.1’s fullscreen mode was very nice when you just need to press Esc to leave it, but current fullscreen mode has its advantages too…for example it’s very intuitive.[quote=“achadwick, post:2, topic:341”]
Q: Should there be an option to hide everything all the time? Is there any chance users will get stuck or frustrated if they activate it by accident?
[/quote]

Well, I think it would be nice to have an option “hide all panels all the time (in fullscreen mode of course),” or “Disable hot edges” in the Preferences menu with tip…and NOT activated by default, so newby users shouldn’t worry

As I said before, current behaviour is good, but to have 2 modes is much better…OMG very sorry if you broke your eyes by reading my message)))