Calligraphy

Description of the Problem, or Question?

Need tilt-response for broad-nibbed pen (narrow to northeast, wide to southeast)

Basic System Details

MyPaint version: 2.0.1 (version from OS repo)
Operating System + Version: openSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE 5.23.4
Make and Model # of Graphic Tablet: XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro with vendor-supplied linux driver

Please Tell Us How to Reproduce the Problem in Steps.

Select a brush that emulates a pencil with tilt support for shading. Holding tablet’s pen in a natural for a rightey, draw in the direction of the top right corner - see how it makes a broad line. Now draw toward the lower right, and you get a narrow line.

A broad-nibbed pen used for calligraphy should do the reverse. You can see this on the calligraphy tool if you have access to an older version of inkscape (0.92.5 on linux but I think it was already broken on the windows version).

I’m hoping to find that such a brush exists, or that an existing brush can be modified by a total noob to emulate a calligraphy pen. Or if mypaint isn’t really the right tool for lettering, well that’s a simple answer too, but I thought I’d check it out.

Thanks for any advice you can provide. -GEF

Oh, I think I found it in AnTi’s dirty brushes. Thank you!

Still I don’t feel bad about posting, for this’ll come up for the next searcher.

Have you tried playing with the brush editor at all? It’s pretty advanced and you can make some super amazing brushes too. There so many things to tweak that it borders on nightmarish. Jokes aside, if you have any time allocated for messing around hit Ctrl+B or click:

Brush | Brush Settings Editor

Once in the editor, hit the button on the far right:

'Copy to New'

That way you’re not overwriting a default brush.

In the left column, you will see a great number of items that can be changed to create the brush of your dreams… A few good things to try out when getting started…

Basic|Radius - defines the baseline equation for min/max brush size

Clicking this, the window in the middle will change with even more options. Here if you click the ‘>’ symbol on any of the items, it will allow you to modify the dynamic settings for that particular setting (aka input tilt, pressure, etc).

Have a look. I would recommend getting the AppImage of the latest Alpha build though as it fixes quite a few crashing bugs. You can get it from MyPaint.org. just be sure to ‘chmod 0755’ on the file you downloaded before trying to run it. My paint is so good for how big it is and this brush editor is awesome! You can even use your brushed created here in gimp if you wanted

2.1.0-alpha+git.90b36db is the latest as of the time this post was made.

Ciao,

~Tigr~~