"Background" ignored in "new layer from visible," creating a "semi-transparent" copy of visible layers. Is this on purpose?

I believe it happens in all recent versions for a while now, appimages on Debian stable. I think it happens both in the “2.0” mode and the legacy one.

“New layer from visible” ends up not having the same behavior it has on GIMP and Krita (I believe even MyPaint once was like that, but perhaps my memory fails me), creating a fully opaque copy, as if you had exported a PNG and pasted it on a new layer, but rather a semi-transparent “copy” that looks like the merging of the layers when it’s above the appropriate background color. But while still on the same image, it “interacts” with it in a way somewhat analog to a “multiply” mode, increasing the saturation and darkening the original underneath.

It can be minimalistically reproduced by just painting some squiggle or shape with a color of intermediate saturation, and then attempting to creating a copy through “new layer from visible” instead of actual “copy.” You should notice the saturation immediately increased. It will only look as a copy from the visible when you move the layer out of any overlap with the painted pixels.

If you don’t have “show background” toggled on, but rather that checkerboard for transparency, “new layer from visible” will create what I believe would be more expected from it, an opaque copy, or yet, a copy with whatever is the degree of opacity of the pixels painted there.

I believe a “work-around” workflow if one needs the GIMP/Krita/maybe-old-MyPaint behavior would be to create a “real” background layer, leaving the “show background” unticked.

The implementation has not really changed since it was added 6 years ago. There is definitely an argument for adding a couple of different implementations, for situations where the current one is not sufficient.

It’s a question of what “from visible” means, when it comes to blending modes and transparency. If you have an opaque background, and include it when creating the new layer, the operation is trivial. If you don’t include the background in the result, there is, for example, no way to flatten a “hard light” layer so that the new layer looks the same as the combination of the other visual layers, without taking the background into account when flattening.

I believe that’s the reason it is implemented the way it is, but as I said, implementing alternative flattening methods shouldn’t be very difficult, it’s just a question of which kinds of flattening would be useful.

1 Like

In every version I’ve tried since 2.0 landed, in Windows and Linux Ubuntu, when you press Home to isolate a layer, the background goes away, whether you have background turned on or not. You can get around this by manually turning all the other layers off manually, but this can get very clunky.
Is this a bug or a feature? Because if a feature, it somewhat bugs. If there’s a way to turn it off, I would love to know it. Currently using an AppImage for 2.0.1+git.478280f in Ubuntu.

1 Like