Axis-specific tiling (x-axis, y-axis or both)

Hey :slight_smile:

first of all I want to say that I really enjoy mypaint (especially in fullscreen mode) and that the brushes are great (stuff like smudge-paint, only smudge, blur, etc). They work really well with my graphics tablet. I also like the whole frame idea, how the menus are organized, it’s really intuitive.

I know there is this thread: https://community.mypaint.org/t/seamless-repeating-pattern-mode-wip/399

I didn’t see any mention of axis-specific tiling there though. If I did this wrong and I was supposed to add my post as a reply to the other thread or something, can you please move it?

It would be really great to have a “tiling” feature in mypaint, in a way that it can be selected if you want to only activate it for the x-axis, or the y-axis, or both (if you can’t image exactly how I mean it, check out how aseprite does it, that’s pretty much it). If you can’t select the axis and you only want something to tile to the left and right, if you paint over the bottom, you’ll paint on your top area, which you don’t want though in that case. Tiling over the x-axis would be especially useful for something like repeating parallax backgrounds in a 2D side scroller game (you want to be able to paint over the top and bottom there without affecting the opposite side).

Also it would be cool to be able to see where the actual image stops and the tiled copy begins, like for example by having a grid overlaid over the actual image (which kinda disturbs the view), or having a grid around the tiles, maybe an option to switch between different possibilities to distinguish the image from its tiled copies.

I’ve experimented with other programs, but there’s always some basic features missing (that I would need) or something that doesn’t work for me (like the program eating all my cpu etc.). I haven’t found anything comparable to the smudge-paint brush in mypaint for example in any other program I’ve used.

I know people do nice stuff with other programs and it works for them and that’s great (seriously :-P), but mypaint is my program of choice currently, because it works for me and I like it, and I would like to be able to use it as my main high-resolution painting application.

So thanks for creating mypaint, and it would be really cool if mypaint could have tiling!

Much love to all of you and God bless!
mamaduck